Making History Mondays is a digest of American food news from the around the web. These are the stories that are changing American foodways and impacting the way we eat.
- FREE TO ROAM?: In an effort to prevent reduce the risk of salmonella, the FDA is attempting to ban the sale of eggs from free-range chickens.
- ARSENIC AND APPLE JUICE: In a more sensible demonstration of their abilities, the FDA has reduced the amount of arsenic allowed in apple juice to match that of drinking water. This comes after over two years of public outcry.
- FIGHTING TO FILM: Animal-rights activists are fighting to overturn a Utah law that prohibits undercover filming of industrial meat complexes.
- ORANGE BLIGHT: A blight affecting orange crops in Florida is costing the industry millions of dollars as farmers quickly attempt to change the orange’s DNA to make it resistant to the disease.
- TOAST: After largely being killed off by Prohibition, New York distilleries are making a comeback and are producing everything from whiskies to rum.